Monday, April 15, 2013

Running and Coffee

I was almost at the two mile mark of my run (which, if you know me, is definitely the end). I realized at that moment that my relationship to running really reminds me of my relationship to coffee. Let me describe coffee first.

I broke down and started drinking coffee a couple weeks ago. Ever since then, I've been trying to figure it out. When I consider drinking coffee, it always sounds like a good idea. Immediately after I'm done drinking it, there's a strange sense of relief...or even accomplishment. Most of all I like it's affects on me. It gives me energy and life. But all of these positive things seem to stand against the bitter taste of the coffee which I can rarely say I enjoy. There are moments when I enjoy a good brew, but those are few and far between.

I also started running last week. Whenever I consider running, it seems like a good plan. Immediately after I'm done, there's that strange sense of relief and accomplishment. I've come to realize that I most of all appreciate the affect running has on me. It helps me know I'm alive. It gives me greater confidence and somewhat strangely helps bring me out of introverted seasons. It gives me time with God and helps me feel good about myself. Once again, all of these positive things seem to stand against the horrible feeling I get with a cramping stomach or imploding lungs. There are moments when I enjoy a good run...but it's rare for me not to feel like I'm dying.

Sometimes it's not the activity itself that you enjoy, but the results of sticking it through. It's no coincidence that the Christian faith is compared to running a race. Sometimes it's a bitter experiences that help you know you're alive and that make you appreciate the sweet things in life. For the Christian, no pain is arbitrary. It may have a strange (apparently random) cause, but the result is what God has in mind. Just push through and God will bless your faith. (and yes, my analogy just put suffering in the same category as coffee and running; no remorse). May God help us to see the benefits of suffering for his sake. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment