Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Frustrated Saint

There comes a time as a Christian when you return to the tree of the bitter and nasty fruit of sin one too many times. Time stops and you just ask Why? Why do I keep on cutting others down with my words and my rotten attitudes? Why do I continue to love money and material things above Christ? Why do I always compare myself to others? Why do I lust? Why do I idolize?

Quite frankly, I get frustrated; really frustrated.

If Christ's death is sufficient in and of itself to ransom for himself a bride and to clothe her with his own righteousness, what's the point of leaving the bride here in partial sin and great suffering? Couldn't we at least be a little more sinless...or suffer a little less?

I know there are many answers to these questions, but here's a thought:

One reason God doesn't apply all of redemption at once is so that we can live in a world of concessives

  • Although we don't see him, yet we love him. 
  • Although we don't see him, yet we believe that he exists. 
  • Although we don't see him, yet we worship him. 
  • Although sin makes promises, yet we trust obedience to be better
  • Although we suffer greatly, yet we rejoice.
The list goes on. We live in a drama where we have the capacity for sin, we've tasted it's fruit, and we've experienced suffering. Though God could change our nature to a much greater degree, he chooses to let us continue the drama with these elements still in place. The old man still has power; his influence remains. God does this in order to show how even a little glimpse of Himself can spur a people to the greatest levels of love and self-sacrifice. Compared to other things in the world, our experience of God is extraordinary. But let me tell you, we haven't experienced God yet. We haven't seen his glory. And one day we'll enter into a new world which he is preparing for us; a world where great wonder and excitement awaits us. But in the meantime, may our lives only make sense through this 'kingdom lense.' 

1 comment:

  1. I would disagree with about half of this.. but we can talk later. I know, the liberal speaking again. I do like your thought, but I disagree in beleif. We should talk my brother, because I would like to hear your thoughts about this.

    ReplyDelete