Saturday, March 16, 2013

Learning from Unbelievers

Although much about how the world is makes sense through a biblical lens, I've come to realize the value of hearing things from an unbelievers perspective. It can be tempting to write off most of what they say because we think it's 'not true.' But just because they don't have the same picture of the Creator and his creation that we do, doesn't mean they don't have genuine experiences or know true things about this world. 

For example: I've heard the cry of an unbelieving heart against the injustice that runs rampant in this cruel, sin stricken world. I've seen the hurt of an unbelieving heart over the betrayal of a friend. I've heard the helplessness of an unbelieving soul apart from the sustaining life and guiding hand of God Almighty. I've watched unbelievers offer up true thanksgiving, though they do not know who to thank for their life, their food, their family. 

Don't tell me that they see no truth
Their broken hearts still work
While they may not have answers yet
True questions still do lurk

I believe we have much to learn from our fellow humans. A good friend told me the other day that we are all born with a natural bend toward good. After some original sin red flags shot up, I realized that she was right. People do seek to do good. Yes, sin is always present, and all are guilty before God. But that doesn't negate the fact that people are born knowing good and evil, and that they ought to practice the good. Now that's grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment