Monday, April 30, 2012

Deep Friendships; Shallow Soil

In times past, I've begun to see the value in the mundane, seemingly pointless, aspects of life. After all, how much of you friendships are formed from 'insignificant' things like shopping, sports, eating breakfast, sitting in a room doing nothing together, watching tv, eating lunch, doing yard-work, eating dinner, and even arguing?

One of my closest relationships is with my twin, Ben. Our deep conversations have been limited, and I can't think of a time (before I left for college) that we talked directly about God or the Bible, at least conversationally. Our friendship is formed on sports, food, stories about work, video games, ping-pong, fighting, etc.

Also, working with disabled people has helped build my appreciation for the 'little things' in life. I would consider JL from His Works as a really good friend. However, our friendship is founded on the fact that I can interpret what he ate for dinner last night. That makes him so happy. All of a sudden, such a meaningless conversation carries a lot of meaning.

In the end, I want to learn to appreciate and capture the small moments in life. After all, deep friendships are often founded in shallow soil. I want to learn to insert truths about God, the Bible, the Church, and the  Christian faith into my life. I want these things to become ingrained with the ordinary; an integral part of who I am and how I live. I don't want to separate the spiritual with the ordinary and I don't want to enjoy the ordinary without the spiritual.

I think one of the reasons I enjoyed Waiting for Godot so much is because the friendship between Estragon and Vladamir was so much like my relationship with Ben all those years. We never did anything significant together, yet nothing could pull us apart.

"Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God" - 1 Corinthians 10:31


No comments:

Post a Comment